Your small business needs a website. You’re thinking about building it yourself. Here’s a question you should ask yourself: When should I hire a professional website designer?
There are so many website design platforms on the market today. Many of them market themselves to small business owners who think they can’t afford to hire a web designer, and some of them even offer free hosting services. The availability of these platforms tempts small business owners to build their websites in-house.
Why You Shouldn’t Build Your Website Yourself
If you’re thinking about building your business’ website yourself, or if you are thinking about having an employee do it, take a moment to consider these questions.
- Do you want to own your website or rent it from a hosting platform that may change the rules or go away tomorrow?
- Is it your intent to sell your product and develop leads with your website?
- How much do you know about keyword research and how to use keywords to create a site that will rank high on search engines?
- Do you understand SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and how to build a site that will score high?
- Can you afford to give up the time it will take to build the website yourself? How many sales will you miss?
A Professional Website Designer’s Value
We’ve seen nice-looking websites that took business owners many hours to build. Most of them get no traffic. There are several reasons why this could happen, but a professional website designer can mitigate many of them from the start.
So, the answer to your question: When Should I hire a professional website designer is this. When you
- don’t want to put the future of your site on a rented or free platform that could go away tomorrow
- want to sell your products and services and generate leads for new business with your website
- need someone who understands how keywords and SEO work and can build a site with a good SEO strategy in mind
- realize that the cost of paying someone is likely less than the sales opportunities you’ll miss while you’re building it yourself
You can build your website yourself. You can learn what you need to know about keywords and SEO. But should you?
Our recommendation is this. Find an affordable and professional website designer and delegate the task to them. The reward far outweighs the cost. If you think we can help, let us know. We’re happy to talk it out with you!